Getting Custody Of Grandchildren: How A Family Lawyer Can Help

Are you trying to get custody of your grandchildren because they are living in a bad environment? A lawyer can help you take your son or daughter to court to argue your case, and you may be able to at least get temporary custody. Find out how a family lawyer can help you execute your rights as a grandparent, as well as what you are estimated to be charged.    

Why Should a Grandparent Hire a Lawyer for Custody of Grandchildren?

During your initial consultation, you can expect the lawyer to ask you for details about the environment your grandchildren is living in. You must understand that your ideal of a bad environment doesn't mean it is deemed that way by law. If your grandchildren are in a home that is roach infested, lacking electricity and they are exposed to questionable people, you will have a strong case. Your lawyer may even be able to assist you with getting emergency custody of the children.

The lawyer will also want to know if the other parent of the children is around. If the other parent lives separately from your son or daughter and wants custody, it will complicate the custody case. However, you may still be able to get custody of your grandchildren if the other parent isn't stable enough to care for the children. A few of the other things that a family lawyer can do to build your case include:

  • Getting an emergency restraining order
  • Hiring a private investigator to gather evidence
  • Gathering proof of your relationship with the children
  • Obtaining evidence of the environment that you can provide

The main focus of the case will be the best interest of your grandchildren, so your lawyer may try to settle the dispute through mediation with your son or daughter. The lawyer may ask your son or daughter to agree to giving you temporary custody until he or she can sufficiently care for the children. If mediation doesn't work, the case will go to court.

How Much Does a Lawyer Charge for a Child Custody Case?

It is estimated that you will have to a pay a minimum of at least $75 per hour if you want a family lawyer to assist with your case. If you are dealing with a complex case where your son or daughter doesn't want to cooperate, the hourly rate can be as much as $400 or more per hour. Don't delay getting in touch with a family lawyer (such as Lois Iannone Attorney at Law) to get custody of your grandchildren as soon as possible!